Built in the 16th century by Rabbi Moshe Alsheich, it is the only synagogue in the city which is still on its original foundations.
The town of Naburiya, also known as Nevoraya, was occupied during the first and second temple periods. It was then abandoned for about 200 years before it was resettled by Jews. The village was mentioned in the Talmud. The ancient synagogue dates to the Roman period, sometime between the 2nd and 4th c CE, and was used until the 7th c CE.
In 1908, Baron Rothschild bought the land for the farmers of Rosh Pina. An attempt to settle the land in 1922 failed; the land was transferred to the JNF. In January of 1945, Palmach members from the Bnei Akiva movement settled the land and built the fortress. In 1946, the British discovered 2 “sliks”, outside the fortress, which were used for hiding weapons. The British evacuated and destroyed the settlement; in their only attempt to erase a Jewish settlement; the settlement became a symbol for the Jews of their determination to settle the land.
The Hula Valley is a major stopover for migrating birds and a popular place for bird watching in Israel. With abundant rainfall, the valley boasted a lake and seasonal swamp – a variety of landscape and flora which attracted a wide range of birds.
Ganei Hoga is a large park with three pools flowing with natural cool spring water. The water in the pools are a consistent 24 degrees year round.
Next to the grave of Rabbi Yochanan ben Zakai, are the graves of many other tanaim from that period. These include Rabbi Yehoshua ben Chananya, Rabbi Yossi HaCohen, Rabbi Shimon ben Netanel, Rabbi Elazar ben Arach, Rav Assi, Rav Ami, and Rabbi Eliezer ben Horkanus
Rabbi Yochanan ben Zakai lived in the first century CE. He was one of the tannaim, a Jewish sage during the time of the second temple and a leader of the Jews after its destruction. He was a major contributor to the Mishnah. His grave is located next to the grave of the Rambam in Tiberias.
Rosh Pina was built in 1882 as an agricultural village. It now houses approximately 2500 people. The original town is now a tourist site with old historic houses, art galleries, and cafes.
Choni HaMaagel, the circle maker, lived in the first century BCE. He was known for his prayers for rain. The story told in the Talmud is that when it did not rain, the Jews would come to him for help. On one occasion, he drew a circle and stood inside it; he prayed for rain until it came, refusing to leave the circle until God answered his prayers.
Elijah’s cave has many traditions connected with it. The Jews believe it to be the cave where the prophet Elijah stayed, before his momentous confrontation with the prophets of Ba’al on the Carmel, when he slew the 450 priests of Ba’al.
The Dona Gracia Museum in Tiberias portrays the life history of a remarkable woman. Gracia Mendes Nasi, known as Dona Gracia, was born to a Jewish family in Lisbon. Her family fled from Spain to Portugal during the Spanish Inquisition in 1492, but was forcibly converted along with all the other Jews in Portugal in 1497.
The Iris Haynei flower, was first found in 1876 and is endemic to the Gilboa Mountains. It is a protected flower, and grows in the Gilboa nature reserve in Samaria. The flower is known locally as the Gilboa iris.
The Sarach Stream is located in the Upper Galilee; the stream is shady with a stalactite cave and the ruins of the Da’Neela village. The hike is about 5 kilometers long, and is an easy family hike of about 4 hours.
Nahal Kziv is a perennial stream in the Upper Galilee, in the Kziv nature reserve. The 20 kilometer long stream flows westward from the Meron mountain.
Nahal Betzet is a stream in the Upper Galilee in Israel. The stream runs through the Betzet nature reserve. The Betzet stream is the northernmost stream in Israel which empties into the Mediterranean Sea within Israel borders.
All that remains of the Keshet Cave is a huge arch. Most of the roof of the cave collapsed sometime in the past, but the immense arch provides a view of the Mediterranean, the Betzet Creek, and the Carmel Mountain ridge. Rappelling from the arch is very popular, due to the 50 meter drop on both sides of the arch.
Metsad Abirim, the “fort of knights”, is the remains of a Crusader building in the Galilee. The building was made of large stones with a border around the edges; it was probably a fort or fortified farmhouse. The site is known as the Fort of Knights because the inhabitants were probably knights.
This hike is in the southern part of the Gilboa Mountains. It is approximately four hours long, and of moderate difficulty. The highlight of the trail is the Khirbet Ner ruins, named forking Saul’s army leader, Avner ben Ner.
Ya’ar Bar’am is located in the Upper Galilee near Kibbutz Bar’am. The forest is cool even in the heat of the summer, where only dappled sunlight lights the forest floor.
The Ghetto Fighter’s House is a holocaust museum in Lochamei HaGetaot in the Upper Galilee. The museum commemorates both the holocaust and Jewish heroism during the holocaust.
Amuka is the site of Rabbi Yonatan ben Uziel’s grave. His grave in the Biria forest is a popular place for singles to visit to pray to marry.
Shvil Hapisga, the Peak Trail, is a circular family hike near the peak of the Meron mountain. The hike is through a forest, with lookouts over the Golan, Galilee, Hula Valley, and Lebanon.
Elkana, the father of the prophet Samuel (Shmuel HaNavi, in Hebrew), is buried in the Galilee. The Prophet Samuel is reputed to be buried just outside of Jerusalem.
Megiddo National Park is a tel in the Galilee in Northern Israel, with 26 layers of ruins. Tel Megiddo was the site of many important battles in the past, and is the site known as Derech HaYam, or “The Way of the Sea” in the Torah, and Armageddon in the New Testament. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The Tel Hai Memorial located in the Upper Galilee in Israel, was built in memory of the eight guards who were killed while defending the Tel Hai settlement. The Museum shows the original buildings and the battle room explains the battle.
The Naftali Ridge and Ramin Cliffs are in a lovely forested area in the Upper Galilee. The Naftali ridge, at 700 meters above sea level, provides a great view of the Golan Heights, the Hula Valley, as well as Southern Lebanon.
The Beit HaShomer museum is located in Kibbutz Kfar Giladi in the Upper Galilee. The museum tells the history of the Bar Giora underground security organization, which was established in 1907 to guard the Jewish settlements from Arab attackers. Bar-Giora later became the HaShomer movement, which was the precursor to the Israel defense Forces.
Peki’in is a Druze village in the Upper Galilee in Israel. The town is a popular tourist spot for the cave where the Rabbi Shimon Bar Yochai and his son hid from the Romans.
Hurshat Tal national park is located in the Galil, near Kiryat Shmona. One of the tributaries to the Dan River cuts through the park, flowing through a large man-made pool with freezing cold water. The water is 12 degrees C (55F) all year round. The pool is sectioned into a shallow area and two deep areas, and lifeguards are in attendance.
Rosh HaNikra is a chalk mountain range on the Mediterranean Sea, at the Israel-Lebanon border. The white chalk cliffs provide a great view of the Sea and the Galilee. The Sea carved out many grottoes in the soft chalk rock over thousands of years, which have been connected by a man-made tunnel.
The Majrassa (alternative spellings: Majraseh, Majrase) or Daliyot River estuary is the largest freshwater nature reserve in Israel. The Daliyot River carries water from the Golan, forming lagoons as it reaches the Sea of Galilee (Kineret in Hebrew).
The citadel of Acco was used as a prison during the British Mandate period. The British imprisoned political prisoners in the jail and used the gallows for hanging prisoners. In 1947, twenty seven Jewish prisoners were freed in a jail break at the Akko prison.
The Templar Knights built a fortress in Acco in the 12th century CE, after the fall of Jerusalem to Saladin. The fortress was built on the southwest corner of the city, so the Knights built a 350 meter long tunnel connecting the fortress to the port on the southeast side of the city.
Lake Monfort is an artificial lake in the lower Galilee. The lake has pedal boats for rent. The walk around the lake is lovely, with a number of islands in the middle of the lake.
Monfort Castle is the ruins of a 13th century Crusader fortress in the Upper Galilee in Israel. The fortress is located in the Nahal Kziv nature reserve. The ruins of the fortress, perched majestically on a cliff above the Kziv river, are a popular tourist site.
The graves of Rabbi Tarfon, Rabbi Yossi ben Yaakov, and Rabbi Crespida are located in the Galilee near Ein Zeitim junction.
The Iyon (Ayoun) Nature Reserve is located in the Upper Galilee (Galil in Hebrew). The Iyon Stream (Nahal Iyon) begins in the Iyon Valley in Lebanon, about 10 kilometers north of the nature reserve. The stream flows strongly in the winter and spring months, but in the summer it is diverted for farming. The Iyon stream is one of the tributaries to the Sea of Galilee (Kineret Sea)
The Dan River, which runs through the Dan Nature Reserve in the Upper Galilee (Galil in Hebrew), is the largest tributary to the Jordan River. The river contributes about 240 million cubic meters of water to the Jordan River – about the same as contributed by the other tributaries combined.
The Hula Nature Reserve was the first nature reserve in Israel, established in 1964. It is home to many plants and fish, as well as a main stop for migrating birds between Africa and Europe.
Yehiam Fortress (Mivtzar Yechiam, in Hebrew) National Park is a Crusader fortress in the Galilee. The fortress was destroyed by the Baybars in 1265. The settlers of Kibbutz Yehiam used the fortress walls as protection during the Israeli war of independence.
Tzippori, an ancient city in the lower Galilee, was once a center of Jewish life. The Sanhedrin, the highest Jewish court, was located there. Rabbi Yehuda Hanasi, who wrote the Mishna, also lived there.
Bar’am was an ancient Jewish town during the time of the Mishna. It was a wealthy town, since it had two synagogues. The larger synagogue, dating back to the 2nd or 3rd century, is a beautiful synagogue. Little remains of the smaller synagogue. Remains from the original town can also be seen.