Built in the 16th century by Rabbi Moshe Alsheich, it is the only synagogue in the city which is still on its original foundations.
The town of Naburiya, also known as Nevoraya, was occupied during the first and second temple periods. It was then abandoned for about 200 years before it was resettled by Jews. The village was mentioned in the Talmud. The ancient synagogue dates to the Roman period, sometime between the 2nd and 4th c CE, and was used until the 7th c CE.
In 1908, Baron Rothschild bought the land for the farmers of Rosh Pina. An attempt to settle the land in 1922 failed; the land was transferred to the JNF. In January of 1945, Palmach members from the Bnei Akiva movement settled the land and built the fortress. In 1946, the British discovered 2 “sliks”, outside the fortress, which were used for hiding weapons. The British evacuated and destroyed the settlement; in their only attempt to erase a Jewish settlement; the settlement became a symbol for the Jews of their determination to settle the land.
Rosh Pina was built in 1882 as an agricultural village. It now houses approximately 2500 people. The original town is now a tourist site with old historic houses, art galleries, and cafes.
Elijah’s cave has many traditions connected with it. The Jews believe it to be the cave where the prophet Elijah stayed, before his momentous confrontation with the prophets of Ba’al on the Carmel, when he slew the 450 priests of Ba’al.
Nahal Kziv is a perennial stream in the Upper Galilee, in the Kziv nature reserve. The 20 kilometer long stream flows westward from the Meron mountain.
This hike is in the southern part of the Gilboa Mountains. It is approximately four hours long, and of moderate difficulty. The highlight of the trail is the Khirbet Ner ruins, named forking Saul’s army leader, Avner ben Ner.
Elkana, the father of the prophet Samuel (Shmuel HaNavi, in Hebrew), is buried in the Galilee. The Prophet Samuel is reputed to be buried just outside of Jerusalem.
The Tel Hai Memorial located in the Upper Galilee in Israel, was built in memory of the eight guards who were killed while defending the Tel Hai settlement. The Museum shows the original buildings and the battle room explains the battle.
The citadel of Acco was used as a prison during the British Mandate period. The British imprisoned political prisoners in the jail and used the gallows for hanging prisoners. In 1947, twenty seven Jewish prisoners were freed in a jail break at the Akko prison.
Monfort Castle is the ruins of a 13th century Crusader fortress in the Upper Galilee in Israel. The fortress is located in the Nahal Kziv nature reserve. The ruins of the fortress, perched majestically on a cliff above the Kziv river, are a popular tourist site.