Category Archives: Negev historical sites

Horvat Rimon in the Lahav Forest – Ein Rimon ruins in the Negev

Lahav Forest is located near Kibbutz Lahav in the Negev. The forest covers about 30,000 dunam and gets an average of 30 cm of rain annually. The forest has many marked trails, and signposted sites. Special picnic tables are available for the handicapped, with parking bays nearby.

Continue reading

Ein Evrona Well – Avrona Farmstead and Doum Palms near Eilat

Avrona, or Evrona, was an old farming village near Eilat from the 7th-9th centuries. The inhabitants were able to farm the area due to the underground spring nearby. A deep well was dug, and tunnels carried the water by gravitation to the cultivated fields. The runoff from the rains in the Eilat mountains was also captured by the village inhabitants.

Continue reading

David Ben-Gurion’s Kibbutz home – Ben Gurion’s house in Sde Boker

David Ben-Gurion was the first prime minister of Israel. When he resigned from the government in 1953, he joined the newly formed Kibbutz Sde Boker in the Negev. He and his wife Paula lived in a simple hut (tsrif in Hebrew), expanded slightly to receive David’s many visitors.

Continue reading

Abraham’s Well in Be’er Sheva – ancient well and information center in Beersheba

Abraham’s Well is a visitors’ center dedicated to Abraham, who lived in Beersheba, and the biblical connection to the city. The story in Genesis 21 tells of a well which Abraham dug and Abimelech’s servants seized. Abraham gave seven ewe lambs to Abimelech as witness that he dug the well himself. Abimelech accepted the lambs and the two men swore an oath in the place, named Be’er Sheva.

Continue reading