Built in the 16th century by Rabbi Moshe Alsheich, it is the only synagogue in the city which is still on its original foundations.
Bnei Atarot is a moshav in central Israel; it was founded in 1948 by former residents of the moshav Atarot which was conquered by Jordan in Israel’s war of independence.
The Heichal Yehuda Synagogue (Hebrew: בית הכנסת היכל יהודה) in North Tel Aviv, is sometimes referred to as the Recanati synagogue and sometimes as the Seashell Synagogue.
Beit HaRishonim is a 19th century house on the Hefer Valley Ridge near Netanya, built on the highest point in the area. The house was built by Antoine Bashara Taiyan, a wealthy Lebanese merchant, who owned most of the land in the area.
Israel’s Supreme Court Building was built by architects Ram Karmi and Ada Karmi-Melamed. The building was opened in 1992; previously rented premises were used for the court. The building was donated by Dorothy de Rothschild; pictures of the architects and letters from Rothschild can be viewed in the Court building.
The tomb of Absalom (Yad Avshalom, in Hebrew) is located in the Kidron Valley in Jerusalem. The Kidron valley is located between the mount of olives and the temple mount.
Mini Israel is a miniature version of Israel, showing all the most significant historical and religious sites in the country.
The Museum of the History of Tel-Aviv-Jaffa is located in the first city hall, known as Beit Ha’Ir. The museum, which opened in the end of 2009, displays photographs collected from the residents of Tel Aviv and old video clips. The office of Meir Dizengoff is also on display inside.
Bialik house, known as Beit Bialik in Hebrew, was the home of the poet Chaim Nachman Bialik from 1925 to 1933. The house is now a museum featuring Bialik’s works.
Naharayim is best known as the island of peace. In addition to being the site of the signing of the Jordanian-Israeli peace treaty, it is also the site of the first electricity plant built by the Israel Electric Company in the 1920s.
The cardo was the main economic street in Jerusalem under Roman rule. The cardo ran from the north to the south, and had shops on both sides.
By the mid 19th century, about 15,000 Jews, Muslims and Christians lived in the old city of Jerusalem; about a third of the residents were Jews. Despite the overcrowding conditions, the poverty and filth, the residents of the city were unwilling to leave the holy city. The area around the city was filled with marauders and thieves, as well as wild animals. The gates of the old city were locked at sunset each day and opened only at sunrise, thus protecting the inhabitants of the city.
The Great Synagogue of Jerusalem is a beautiful building, with stained glass windows depicting biblical themes. A large mezuzah collection is on display in the foyer of the synagogue.
The Jerusalem Archaeological Park includes the southern section of the western wall as well as the southern retaining wall of the temple mount, in addition to the excavations alongside these walls. The Davidson Center, located in an ancient Umayyad palace, has a museum which provides additional information, displays, and context for the archaeological garden.